Member Login

All RANZCR members and non-members are asked to re-register a new username and password for access to the new website, please click


The Medical Board of Australia accepts international medical graduates (IMGs) who are assessed and recognised by Australian specialist medical colleges, for registration to practise in their field of specialisation. The purpose of the specialist assessment is to determine the comparability of training, qualifications and experience of overseas trained specialists, with Australian trained specialists.

IMGs - medical qualifications obtained overseas

An IMG with formal postgraduate radiology or radiation oncology specialist qualifications in their country of training wishing to work in Australia must first apply to the AMC ( for primary source verification (PSV) of their medical qualification and all specialist qualifications attained (or the highest qualification attained). All relevant documentation and qualifications are checked through the International Credentials Service (EICS) of the Educational Commission for the Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG).

After the PSV submission is made to the AMC, the IMG applies directly to the College for specialist recognition to determine if the applicant's training, qualifications and professional experience are comparable to an Australian-trained specialist.

You should be advised that, under the terms of the Commonwealth Health Insurance Act, practitioners who did not obtain their medical degree in Australia may be restricted in their ability to access Medicare benefits even after obtaining Fellowship. For further information regarding access to Medicare Benefits, refer to the Australian Government Medicare Australia website and contact them directly -

IMGs - specialist qualifications obtained overseas

An IMG who attained their primary medical degree in Australia, but gained their specialist radiology or radiation oncology training overseas, is still required to go through the AMC for PSV of their specialist qualification(s) and submit a specialist recognition application to the College.

Further information on specialist medical college assessment